3rd Update – COVID-19 and Weddings

  • Home
  • 3rd Update – COVID-19 and Weddings

Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Weddings – A Few Thoughts

THIRD UPDATE – 23rd of June 2020

As we move into the next phase of the government lifting the lock-down restrictions, it’s looking more and more likely that weddings will be allowed to go-ahead from the 4th of July onwards.

As I write this we do not know how many people will be allowed at weddings starting in July, but I am guessing it will be 10 people or less.

Right now, I have moved and postponed 25 weddings to either later in the year or to next year; I do still have wedding’s in the books for July and August 2020.

I do think that there will still be restrictions for weddings in July and August, and we won’t see an easing of the number of people allowed at weddings until sometime in September; I think the schools going back in September will be a big milestone.

What’s my feeling about shooting a wedding right now? – Well, I’m looking forward to capturing all the moments that happen on a wedding day, and I cannot wait for weddings where this virus is a long distant memory, but right now if I was too shoot a wedding tomorrow it would be a challenge – no doubt about it.

We would all need to be socially distant, I’d imagine that the registrars/priests/ celebrants will feel the need to have face coverings, people at the venue would also need to be wearing facemasks and I would do the same. I have had a few people ask me if I would feel safe being at a wedding right now, and to be honest, I’m not sure, I’m not sure right now is the time for the restrictions to be lifted to the level of a free-for-all, and now is not the time for people to forget the 2m rule, would I shoot a wedding tomorrow – yes but it would need to be safe.

So to all my couples who have their wedding booked in for September and October this year – hold tight, I think we will have more normality by then, but if you are worried, work with everyone to get a back-up date in the diary for next year – please use my calendar below to see when I’m free, please try and get a back-up date in the diary as soon as you can, dates are being filled quickly not just for the couples needing to postpone, but couples who planned to get married in 2021 are now booking their dates.

If you need to call to have a chat – go for it, I’m always free.

Stay safe and enjoy the warm weather that is coming this week!


SECOND UPDATE – 21st of March 2020.

With the cancelling of events along with the closure of many shops, bars and restaurants – Weddings are going to be affected by these measures and I imagine that we will be lucky to see weddings going ahead before the end of June.

So I thought I would put together a calendar showing the dates where I am available and where I am booked.

If you spot a date that is currently free, please drop a message below asking me to pencil you in for the new date – you can then confirm the date later on when you have finalised everything with the venue!

Please Check The Weddings Dates

Provisionally Booked

Please Let Me Know The Changes

  • Hidden
  • DD dash MM dash YYYY
  • DD dash MM dash YYYY
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

FIRST UPDATE – Obviously, right now (13/03/2020) – no one knows what’s going to happen, but the likelihood will be that some weddings over the comings months will get postponed due to the virus, so I thought I’d run through a few scenarios which you may or not have thought about.

Government Cancelling Events/Gatherings For Small Numbers Of People

This scenario is a no-win for anyone and there is nothing much that any of us can do to mitigate this one. If this does happen the likelihood will be that the date will be pushed back and potentially (depending on the venue and how busy they are) the wedding may take place during the week rather than the weekend or you might seek a different venue, but there may be a cancellation penalty with the original venue.

The Venue Cancels Or Postpones

It’s easy to see how this one could happen – every weekend 100’s of people will rock up to wedding venues, along with suppliers and members of staff and it only takes a single case, and the venue will play it safe and close its doors.

This situation is no different to the venue cancelling due to remedial works on the building etc.. they will have insurance for having to cancel weddings/events and they will be liable to you for any payments you may need to make to your suppliers.

If You Guys Have To Postpone

I just want to say straight away that if you guys have to postpone the wedding to a date later in the year or to next year – I will work with you to make sure that I can still be there with no additional costs etc..

Other suppliers may be different and will point you to their T&C’s/contracts that you have in place and expect full payment even if they are free on your new wedding date – so double-check what you have signed. If you need another copy of our contract – let me know, and I can email that across.

I have spoken to three venues today and they are treating this virus the same as any other cancellation – they are expecting to be paid in full, this does not sit well with me and I’m doing everything I can to get people the dates they want and moving the booking fee to the new date.

If you do have wedding insurance – this will cover supplier/ venue fees for cancelling or postponing the wedding.

What If I Get Ill?

If I’m not able to be at your wedding (TBH for any reason) I would refund you any monies paid and work with you to find another photographer of the same style and standard to be at your wedding. I am part of a group of photographers who have each others back and will be happy to step in and help.

Final Bit

No one knows what is going to happen, I’m ploughing ahead and planning for all my weddings, doing what I always do and I’m always around if you have any queries or questions.

Enjoy your weekend!